I’ve had a mini rant on Twitter today as I really wanted to buy a new dress for an upcoming event, just a classic vintage inspired dress in 100% cotton or nice blend of breathable fabric. Something that is a nice shape and that will cover my ass. I’m 5’11” and a pear shape with tiny boobs. I like to be comfortable but stylish with my own look. I used to be able to go into any shop and find one or two things that I would be able to tweak to suit my style.
Over the past year or so I’ve bought fewer and fewer clothes. I’ve tried, I’ve shopped and I’ve come home empty handed. I don’t know if it’s me getting older, being spoilt with good quality clothes from working in retail or if I’ve simply become fussier. Or am I right in thinking that the high street has become completely ridiculous?
Here are the things I want in a clothing range
- Good quality fabric, preferably natural so that it washes well, breathes and lasts.
- Prices that reflect the quality.
- Cuts and shapes that are flattering, I prefer tailored styles.
- Attention to detail, linings, zips in the right place and pretty trims will always get my attention.
- Lengths that work for everyone, I’m tall, I need it knee length. Remember a shorter person can take it up, tall girls can’t add length to dresses.
- Designs that are inspired by vintage, but created in a timeless style rather than being dictated by trends that last one season.
- Bright colours and fun prints, although they aren’t for everyone they are certainly always a winner for me. I can’t shop when everything is pastel or natural shades.
Here are the things that I HATE in current clothing ranges
- Overpriced items with prices that do not reflect the quality or workmanship that has gone into it.
- One size fits all attitudes. You can’t make a range in S, M, L EVER you just can’t categorise women into just three categories.
- Every being so obsessed with trends that it makes it impossible to have your own look. Plus, not everyone suits the trends of that season.
- One length fits all attitude. Short is great if you’re petite, but when you’re tall you can’t add length, making shopping for trousers, shorts and dresses near impossible.
- Leggings. They should be banned. Or at least reserved for sportswear, if you have to wear them, they should never be used in place of trousers. It doesn’t like nice on anyone. My opinion anyway.
- Cookie cutter fashion. Every single shop seems to have the same thing now. So few stores seem to put their own stamp on things.
Do you have these issues with shops?
Tell me what you think of modern day clothes shopping?
Comment below, share this post and tweet me anytime on @JayneJRead