So, as some of you will know, I’ve been doing online dating for the past six months. I’m not really looking for anything in particular, just enjoying the experience. I love meeting people and as a digital fan, I’m intrigued and interested by how people behave online. I’ve been on a number of dating sites, which if you’re interested in I can blog about another time.
Anyway, as a girl on a dating site, you can inundated with messages all the time, 90% of them are just weird. So, I decided that I ought to document them, they were bringing so much joy to me and my friends that I set up a Tumblr blog. Initially I was going to keep this anonymous, but since I recently completely forgot the password to it (and the associated email address) I can’t add to it anymore. Sad times. So, I’m going to share it with you here, right now…
It’s not ground breaking, there’s lots of similar sites, but here’s my Online Dating Cringe Tumblr, enjoy! There’s a couple of pages of stuff, you can turn the page at the bottom of the Tumblr blog.
Here’s some of the general themes of online dating messages that have been winding me up, let me know how many of them you recognise….
- The use of Take Me Out style puns e.g. let the kitten see the cream. Not as funny or as original as you might think.
- When people send messages entirely in txt tlk and tlk lk ths, this is always wrong.
- Messages that only say “How are you? x” or “Hi”, they just don’t inspire you to reply at all.
- Dad jokes.
- Marriage proposals or references to it, especially inappropriate when to someone who is currently getting divorced.
- Cut to the chase sex propositions, at least attempt conversation first!
- Cringey chat up lines e.g. “the only thing your eyes haven’t told me is your name”
Have you tried online dating?
What cringey stories do you have to share?
Comment, share or tweet me @JayneKitsch