This year has honestly been mental. It’s been the year for so much change and for so much personal growth, I’ve had a lot of upset and a lot of happiness and achieved a lot of things small and big. Back in June I wrote a list of things that I had done for the first time since separating from my husband who I had been with since I was 16 (that’s 9 years folks!) Anyway, since everyone loved reading that and in the interest of recording life and achievements, I thought I would revisit the subject with a additional list of things that have happened this year that have been significant to how I’ve changed for the better.
There’s a few people I want to thank as well for helping me be brave, face challenges and become a better and stronger person: Matt, Gus, Emma, Sinead, Hayley, Lina, Cam, Frances, Neil K, Liz T, Fleur, Hassan, Gemma P, Gemma W and Jane for a starter anyway. There’s tons others, but those are the main people that have really helped me this year. Thank you, you’re all amazing.
- Dated. I had never dated anyone before my ex so this is a mega deal. I’ve met lots of interesting people, had fun, been dumped and learnt a lot about myself. Most of those dates have been via online dating too, which I now feel like is part of my story. I love collecting funny online dating stories.
- Stayed out all night. Before this year I used to have anxiety attacks about going out at night, which meant I hadn’t done a lot of normal going out type things (including drinking) socialising is now a huge part of my life and I’ve stayed out until the early hours a few times now. Sounds stupid, but for me this is a big achievement.
- Been to therapy. Not ashamed to admit it either, although it didn’t solve all my problems it definitely help me put things into perspective and learn to deal with change.
- Spoke at a conference. This hadn’t happened before, thanks to Luke from Buzzfeed I spoke about blogging and social at the BBC Academy. I can’t believe I had the guts to do it, definitely want to do more public speaking next year.
- Made new friends. I’ve had the same tiny group of friends for a very long time, this year I’ve been networking queen and have made so many new friends, many of which are now besties. I put this down to me going out more and not being afraid to talk to randoms.
- Tried new things. This applies to lots of things, but the main was food. I used to be painfully fussy with food, which made it very tricky when eating out. Although I’m still admittedly fussy and know what I like, I have been good this year at trying new things. Here’s a few things that I had for the very first time this year and can now say that I will eat: artichokes, calamari, crab, prawns, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, rocket.
- Had a style make over. Yes, I’ve always liked different clothes, but it was this year that I really had a make over and actually feel like myself for the first time in about 8 years. First came the fringe, then the bright hair colour and then I started being more daring with my clothes and accessories. I’ve very happy with how I look right now.
- Chilled out. I used to be such a stressy person, worrying about all sorts of things. This year I’ve learnt to chill out. Naturally, I’m going to worry about some things, but right now I feel like I’ve got the balance right for the first time ever. I don’t worry about stupid things anymore.
- Listened to music. A stupid one I know, but I’m only just now rediscovering my music and finding out about new music. Hence why I’m mainly listening to stuff that I loved when I was 16. I’ve even been going to gigs again and have discovered a love for dancing like a fool on night’s out too, that’s all new to me.
- Enjoyed my career. I’ve always been in jobs because I had to, to pay the bills. But this year, I moved to specialising in social media and it really made me happy. I’m about to start a big new job next month, which I’m super excited about too.
So yes, those are the 10 big things that made my year special and helped me get through a tough time.
Here’s to the rest of the year and 2014 being even better.
Comment, share or tweet me @JayneKitsch
@wearefoodscouts & @KitschInc. Digital Marketing & Creative Direction. Illustration, writing, creativity & style. Fan of films, TV, cartoons, colourful hair & clean beauty. Blogger since 2009.