I’ve been having a bit of a crazy time again recently, moved house twice in three weeks and have only just now got the internet set up at my new home, plus my laptop is on the blink so a bit unpredictable at the moment. Plus, I’ve had other stuff going on in my personal life that has really distracted me from blogging. I’ll always love blogging, so although I’m gone from time to time, I’m sure I’ll always return.
Well, now I’m back, I wanted to write about something a little different. Whether you officially suffer from Depression or not, I’m sure all of you can be accused of being pessimistic from time to time, complaining and moaning and not valuing what you have. I know I am, I can get in such a mood sometimes. So, I thought it would be useful to write down some tips I’ve picked up lately to help stay positive and combat negativity in life. I’m no expert, these are just things I’ve picked up from experience and if you’ve got anything else to add, please leave a comment or tweet me @JayneKitsch.
Reasons to be Cheerful
I had honestly forgotten how therapeutic it can be to physically write down things, old fashioned pen and paper style. One of the things I learnt from therapy is that when you’re feeling low, making a list can always help perk you up. To help focus on positives over negatives, write a list of things to be thankful for, reasons to be cheerful.
These can be all kinds of things, from tiny little things about aspects of your personality or appearance that you like or big things like being in a job you love or living somewhere awesome. Anyway, having this written down will help focus your mind on the happy things in life and keep it somewhere handy and you can re-read whenever you’re feeling low.
Problems have Solutions
Another thing I’ve done is write down your key worries or problems in life and then think up at least three realistic solutions to them. Again, this can be use as something to look at when you’re feeling crap and gives you something to work towards. Often the solutions to our problems, anxieties or worries are really simple. For example, one of my worries was that I was feeling lonely, my solutions to this are making more plans with friends so that I don’t have to stay home alone and for when I have to be home alone, setting myself goals to achieve, for example writing a blog post.
Enjoy the Little Things
Taking inspiration from one of the rules from one of my fave movies, Zombieland, I can’t stress how important it is to find pleasure in the little things in life. Here’s a couple of little things that always cheer me up…
- Listening to some upbeat music and singing along. My choice is usually something by Blink 182, New Found Glory or the soundtrack to The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
- Watching a favourite film, films for me are an ultimate distraction, I love forgetting the real world for a bit and enjoying a film. My favourite films for cheering me up however are The Lost Boys, The Darjeeling Limited and Shaun of the Dead.
- Having a treat, this could be something like buying a new nail polish and treating yourself to a mini manicure at home to eating a big slice of your favourite cake.
- Catching up with a bestie. Having someone to talk to is super important in life, it’s always going to cheer you up if you can hang out with one of your favourite people for an hour or so.
- Spend sometime reading something funny or looking at pictures of kittens on the internet, instant happy face. I usually head to Buzzfeed for that.
What would your tips be for being more positive?
Comment, share and tweet me @JayneKitsch
@wearefoodscouts & @KitschInc. Digital Marketing & Creative Direction. Illustration, writing, creativity & style. Fan of films, TV, cartoons, colourful hair & clean beauty. Blogger since 2009.